What is a Project Manager?
A Project Manager is someone who calls upon their skills, experience and expertise to effectively manage and organise resources, such as people and finance to ensure projects are completed within defined time and / or budgetary constraints.
What are typical Project Manager daily functions?
- Agrees project time scales and deadlines – ensuring adherence to
- Setting, executing and monitoring budgetary constraints
- Making an effective contribution to projects from conception through to completion and evaluation – adopting a variety of project management tools and techniques
- Provides leadership, motivation and strategic direction to a multifaceted team
- Plans project time, people, finance and associated resources to satisfy requirements
- Maintains liaison with project staff, suppliers and contractors
- Agrees and delegates project activity
- Checks, measures and reviews project progress and associated staff performance
What skills should I highlight in a project management CV?
- Communication and people management; project management facilitates the need for clear communication in relation to required goals, responsibility, performance, expectations and feedback
- Demonstrable success in motivating project teams to achieve full project and staff potential
- Proven strength and capability in team management, development and mentoring
- Knowledge of project planning tools and techniques, such as MS-Project and Prince2 methodologies