Salary Negotiation Advice
After a job offer you may feel you require an improved package in order for you to accept the position. Below are a few useful tips:
- Where possible, delay all negotiations for the longest possible time. Never negotiate straight after an offer.
- Investigate the average salary of people in similar positions. Maybe you could contact other companies in your area advertising similar vacancies. There are also various websites and salary calculators you can use to do this.
- Investigate the full package you have been offered and ensure you have clearly identified the areas of the package you would like improved.
- Refrain from making demands.
- If you are relocating maybe you could mention this in your negotiations.
- Never show an employer that you need the money. This could make you look desperate and decrease your chances of successful negotiation.
- If the salary is not negotiable maybe you could ask for improvements in other areas of the package you have been offered. Some companies may be working to stringent budgetary constraints so there may be no chance of receiving an improved salary.
For a more in-depth guide, see our blog post on salary negotiation tips!